7571 North Elyria Road, West Salem, OH 44287
Phone: (419) 846-3151
Fax: (419) 846-3361
ViewNWLS Mobile
The NORTHWESTERN ALUMNI & FRIENDS ASSOCIATION
The Northwestern Alumni & Friends Association exists to provide a way for Northwestern grads (including those from Chester, Congress, and West Salem schools) and ALL Northwestern staff, families and community members to communicate, fellowship and find ways to contribute to the school and community.


Would you like to receive "The Northwestern," the Northwestern Schools and community newsletter? You may receive each bi-monthly issue electronically or (by subscription) by mail. The April issue each year contains extra news of interest to alumni and can be mailed to you free of charge. Just contact Richard Young at [email protected]
If you would like to help with the activities of the NWAFA, contact chairman Dwight Wasson at [email protected] or 330-264-2431.

We welcome your expertise and assistance with

  • The Alumni Hall of Fame and Community Hall of Honor
  • Archiving a collection of memorabilia
  • Planning and carrying out the annual reunion banquet
  • any new ideas you may have

Current fund-raising goals:

  • An Alumni & Friends scholarship fund. We are approaching our goal and may soon be able to start disbursing scholarship funds to deserving Northwestern grads!
  • The 2014 Northwestern Alumni Hall of Fame and Community Hall of Honor. Each honoree receives a commemorative clock, and a handsome brushed aluminum plaque, mounted on solid walnut, is hung in the commons area of the high school. We want to be able to recognize the excellence of our alumni and community service honors recipients with tasteful and significant awards.
Completed forms for the 2018 Alumni Hall of Fame must be received by October 31, 2017.

The Northwestern Alumni Hall of Fame was established in 2005 to recognize graduates of Northwestern High School (as well as the schools that merged to form the present district) who have distinguished themselves by a high level of achievement, and have set a standard of excellence to which present students can aspire. Honorees are chosen every two years by a Selection Committee, drawn from the Northwestern community, which chooses a maximum of five honorees from among nominations submitted by the general public.

On Saturday June 21, 2014 the newest honorees were inducted into the Alumni Hall of Fame, they are;
Sgt. Gerald Hinton (1962) Served 4 years in the Ohio National Guard, joined the Wooster Police Dept. in 1969. During his 25 year career he served as instructor for Wayne Co. Sheriff and Police Academy, S.W.A.T. training officer and worked with the Medway Drug unit.

Dave Grube (1962) Earned a B.S. degree from Kent State in 1967, and a Master’s Degree in Education from Bowling Green State University in 1971. Coached basketball at Marion Harding H.S., College of Wooster, Heidelberg and Capital Universities. Was involved with Fellowship of Christian Athletes, and the DARE program. As a head coach his record was 216 - 193.

Berton S. Sheppard (1954) Earned a B.S. Degree in Agricultural Engineering in 1958 and was selected as runner-up to the university’s “Outstanding Senior Man.” Earned a Juris Doctor Degree from Northwestern University School of Law in 1961. Admitted to the Illinois State Bar, Federal Trial Bars, U.S. Supreme Court Bar. Served with law firm Wolfe, Hubbard, Voit and Osann where he did patentability searches and filed and prosecuted patent issues. Retiring in 2012 with over 50 years of service.

On June 17, 2006 the first class was inducted into the Alumni Hall of Fame. It included: Roy S. Bates (Chester High School Class of 1933); W. Dean Chance (NHS Class of 1959); Chester Firestone (Chester HS 1925); Fred Marti, PhD (Chester HS 1939); and Stanley Totten, PhD (NHS 1954).

Enshrined on June 21, 2008 were: Robert D. Blanchard, PhD (NHS 1954); John B. Matz (NHS 1957); Helen Marti Miley (Congress High School 1923); Col. Patricia Purdy, USAF (ret.) (NHS 1954); and O. Allan Wasson, PhD (NHS 1953).

On June 19, 2010 the honorees were: Vera Gruter Morhenn, MD (NHS 1958); Norman E. Osborn (Chester HS 1945); Clark E. Stair (Congress HS 1945); Dan E. Wakefield (NHS 1969); and Dwight O. Wasson (NHS 1960).

Enshrined on June 23,2012; Kurt Landes (NHS 1991), Leland Reed West Salem 1944), 1st Lt. John Runkle, Jr. (NHS 2002), Chester Welty (NHS 1954), and Robert Young (NHS 1956).
Completed forms for the 2018 Community Hall of Honor must be received by October 31,  2017.

The Northwestern Community Hall of Honor was established in 2005 to recognize and honor those who have distinguished themselves by their service to the Northwestern schools and/or the residents of the district. Honorees are chosen every two years by a Selection Committee drawn from among district residents, who choose a maximum of five honorees from among nominations submitted by the general public.


On Saturday June 21, 2014 the newest honorees were inducted into the Community Hall of Honor for their service to the community and /or school district, they are:
James Norton attended Northwestern H. S. until his Jr. year when the family moved out of the district. He returned to the district (New Pittsburg) where he operated an antique store. He has served on the board of Directors for the New Pittsburg Cemetery, and has devoted many hours in maintenance of the grounds over many years. He was instrumental in planning and coordinating a CD which highlighted significant events in the Northwestern area.

William Pim taught in Northwestern H.S. from 1958-1981. Was named to “Outstanding Secondary Educator of America” in 1975. Preformed in local Ruritan musicals for many years. A charter member of New Pittsburg Sportsman’s Club, member of the Rifle Team. Served as Club President, Vice President, Secretary, and an Instructor, and served on Board of Directors. Was founder of an indoor rifle club for Northwestern students, both boy’s and girl’s.

Dr. Stanford Siders lived in the district for over 20 years, taught and coached at Congress. With the consolidation of West Salem, Congress and Chester schools into Northwestern he taught at West Salem and Chester each for one year. With the Congress school becoming the district Jr. H.S., he became its Principal. Stan was an educator in the Northwestern District from 1950 - 1961. He retired from Ashland University (then Ashland College) in 1989, where he was an Associate Dean from 1964 until his retirement.


The first class to enter the Community Hall of Honor in 2006 included Frank Grenert, principal of Congress High School 1949-1951, principal of newly formed Northwestern High School 1951-1963, Superintendent of Schools 1963-1979, Mabel Krommes, who taught at Chester Elementary from 1951-1981; Walter Sneddon, West Salem School principal 1947-1975; Shirley Elser Topovski, 30-year teacher and community volunteer; and Leo Welty, teacher, Chester School principal, and first superintendent of the newly-formed Northwestern Schools district from 1951-1964.

Inducted into the Community Hall of Honor on June 21, 2008 were: Roger Frank, long-time volunteer firefighter and EMT; David E. Knight, teacher, principal, teacher educator, and community volunteer; Gerald Payn, teacher and Abraham Lincoln presenter; Eleanor "Anne" Rogers, founder and leader of "Meals-N-More."

On June 19, 2010 these members of the Community Hall of Honor were recognized: Marilyn Ferguson, teacher, actress, singer, poet and arts promoter; Dr. J.H. and Mrs. Margaret Gruter, community physician and founders of a residential treatment center for the mentally handicapped; Robert M. Kline, member and leader of the Northwestern Board of Education for more than 25 years; Anna Swinehart, first teacher and principal of Chester High School in 1919 and member of the NHS faculty until 1970; and Helen Ward, teacher and pioneering conservationist.

Enshrined on June 23,2012; Rex Fasig, New Pittsburg Volunteer Fire Dept. Chief, Clarence S. Gindlesberger, educator, involved with 4H and Wayne Co. Fair Board, Duane Reed, served as Mayor of West Salem as well as other governmental and volunteer positions.
7571 North Elyria Road, West Salem, OH 44287 | Phone: (419) 846-3151 | Fax: (419) 846-3361
© 2017. Northwestern Local Schools. All Rights Reserved. School CMS Created by eSchoolView
7571 North Elyria Road, West Salem, OH 44287 | Phone: (419) 846-3151 | Fax: (419) 846-3361
Quick-Edit Login